Monday, April 7, 2008

Oak Hytex toy balloons

I purchased the poster and catalog in this post about 15 years ago.


The poster measures approximately 27 inches wide by 10 inches tall and represents the only example I have seen in 25 years of collecting vintage Disney memorabilia.

The introduction in the catalog states:

"The Oak Rubber Company started the manufacture of toy rubber balloons in 1916. Oak Balloons quickly established a reputation for a new degree of toughness, greater elasticity, brighter colors, attractive designs and novel variety."

The company used "milled," virgin, liquid latex rubber in their production process. Given the fact most of the rubber used in America at this time came from the South Pacific, I am not sure how this company fared during the war, when rubber was rationed and the Japanese occupied many rubber producing regions.

The 48-page catalog contains nine full-page Disney related advertisements and six additional pages where a Disney product is featured with other balloon products. Besides the following images, there are also two full-page ads featuring Snow White themed balloons.

Cover


Page 2


Page 3


Page 4


Page 5


Package for the Stratosphere novelty.

The Stratosphere Balloon novelty consisted of a balloon (9 - 10 inches tall when inflated), and a cardboard die-cut balloon basket. The basket featured the likenesses of Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Pluto. Hard to see in the scan, but Donald is reading a book about air sickness.

4 comments:

Cory The Raven said...

I want a Mickey Mouse Stratosphere Balloon! There were so many fun-looking toys back in the day...

David said...

I've owned two of the balloon baskets in my years of collecting. I too love those early graphics!

Kevin Kidney said...

Terrific stuff! The character art is so broad and fun. Bringing some of these classic designs back would be genius (hint to Disneyland merch....)

btw, I l o v e this blog!

David said...

Thanks for the comments Kevin. I've been out of action with a case of the flu and bronchitis for the past 2 weeks. I've never been this sick before. Feeling much better now and hope to get back to posting items on both blogs this weekend.

BTW Kevin, I love your work. I tried locating a private email addy for you but was unsuccessful. I absolutely love the Toad's wagon you designed as well as the Hyperion Mickey Mouse / Silly Symphony sign - outstanding work!